Monday, October 25, 2010

October 23, 2010

White House Canyon Road Cut-Off

By: DarkZen Difficulty: 1.5 Terrain: 1.5 Container: Micro


A quick find before leaving Whitehouse road and the mysterious 'Fence Posts' trail. Thanks for marking the turn.




Pebble Beach Tafoni

By: DarkZen Difficulty: 2.0 Terrain: 2.0 Container: Regular


This was a really interesting spot! The cache was tough to get to; I was glad it was an overcast and threatinging day, which meant that the crowds were very light. After making the find, I inspected the Tafoni and watched a fisherman pull out a pretty large fish out of the heavy surf. Thanks!




Mojoceratops

By: DarkZen Difficulty: 2.0 Terrain: 2.5 Container: Small


More impressive cliffs! I experienced a bit of vertigo when I walked up to the edge, so I got down on my stomach to inspect things in detail. I love caching on the coast! Thanks for bringing me to this beautiful place.




Outlaw Beach

By: Evil and Dark Difficulty: 1.5 Terrain: 1.5 Container: Micro


I was definitely wishing for a place to park! Stopping along a very narrow shoulder on the inside of a curve made things interesting. In spite of the berm, there were several tire marks in the old dirt lot. Being in the Jeep I probably could have managed that, but it was a quick in and out and everything ended up ok. Thanks for pointing this access out!




Sea Any Whales?

By: Evil Cow Pod and DarkOrca Difficulty: 2.0 Terrain: 1.5 Container: Small


Those are some impressive cliffs! I didn't see any whales here, just the washed up carcass down the road a bit. However, there was a couple watching the water with binoculars about 100 yards from GZ. TFTC.




Pescadero Marsh Starting Point

By: ECP and DZ Difficulty: 2.0 Terrain: 1.5 Container: Regular


No time to explore on this trip, there's a hike further south that I'm trying to get to before the rain starts. I do recall a cache in this reserve a long time ago. Access was further south, onto the beach and then under the bridge where the creek drains into the ocean. About a mile in, and a very nice hike. TFTC.




Coastside Trail

By: nielsenc Difficulty: 1.5 Terrain: 1.5 Container: Micro


A beautiful spot. Thanks for bringing me here. I got to experience the reason for the fences and netting first hand as a golf ball whistled just overhead. That shiny metal ring that secures the cache to the fence in your spoiler picture is now just a rusted shadow of its former self. It won't last too much longer. TFTC!




Jane's First HMB Hide

By: sealjane Difficulty: 1.0 Terrain: 1.0 Container: Small


Thanks for introducing me to your very pleasant neighborhood. Figuring out which street the cache was on was a bit confusing because my widget's maps were way off. Things worked out eventually though! TFTC.




Woodcutter's Bridge

By: Team C2C Difficulty: 2.0 Terrain: 2.0 Container: Small


Vegetation along the trail appears to have been cut back. There were a few spots where I had to dance around the poison oak vines arching over the trail, but nothing serious. Thanks for populating this obscure trail with caches!




Cascade Creek Beach: Secret Trailhead

By: Team C2C Difficulty: 2.0 Terrain: 1.5 Container: Micro


The rain started up as I found this cache, so I grabbed my jacked before heading out to the beach for another cache. Tricky little hide! TFTC.




Flying Fickle Finger of Fate

By: DZ & ECP Difficulty: 2.0 Terrain: 2.0 Container: Regular


Pretty, even in the rain. Thanks for the hike.




Brave Duo

By: Team C2C Difficulty: 2.0 Terrain: 3.0 Container: Small


Well, I'm most of the way; what's a bit more of a hillside scramble? The view was a bit obscured, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. On a strange note, I saw two cars, one on the road to the south, one on the ridge to the north, just sitting. Were they watching me ascend in my red rain jacket? Or perhaps getting in one last phone call before heading further uphill into a cellular dead zone? Weird.




Breadcrumbs: Secret Trailhead

By: Team C2C Difficulty: 2.0 Terrain: 1.5 Container: Small


I left this cache for last so that I'd have something to look forward to on the trip out. The rain was pounding, and I flushed 4 quail out of the hide bush on approach. TFTC.




The Grimm Forest

By: Team C2C Difficulty: 3.5 Terrain: 3.0 Container: Small


This was my favorite area along the trail. The rain was pattering on the leaves, and frogs were croaking. The trees were really pretty! That was one tough hide. I felt fortunate to have spotted it. TFTC!




Candy Cottage

By: Team C2C Difficulty: 2.0 Terrain: 2.5 Container: Small


Finally I emerge from the canyon to see a beautiful pond. The sounds of cars rushing by on Hwy 1 seem close, but I know the truth! Too much rain today to linger for long, but I feel satisfied to have seen this place from the backside! TFTC.




Bee box

By: Finnegans Difficulty: 2.0 Terrain: 3.0 Container: Small


I was bamboozled on this cache for a bit. Eventually the widget settled down and got me close enough to spot the tell-tale signs. The inside of the container was very wet. It seems that its hiding spot is in the path of a seep, and water is slowly trickling. With rain coming, this is sure to worsen. I tried to get it up a bit by putting a rock underneath, perhaps that will help. The birds were busy on the carcass! TFTC.




Ocean View

By: teamdw Difficulty: 2.0 Terrain: 1.5 Container: Micro


I thought I knew right where this cache would be hidden, but was suprised! It took a bit of a search. The wind was kicking up a bit and I nearly lost the cap when it blew over the edge of the bridge. Fortuately it got caught in some brambles in a place where I could barely reach it. Whew! TFTC!




New Years Trail-Beach Junction

By: DavidT21 & Fisherwoman Difficulty: 2.0 Terrain: 1.5 Container: Small


I attempted the main gate, thinking that budget cuts or rain would mean that it was unoccupied. No such luck though. Forced to use the alternate entrance, I ran the poison oak gauntlet and made a quick find. TFTC!



Fence Posts

By: richchips Difficulty: 3.0 Terrain: 3.0 Container: Small


Ahhh, the mysterious Fence Posts cache. 5 years old today, and I'm only the 13th visitor. Before I knew the trailhead, I contemplated bushwhacking over from Whitehouse road, and boy am I glad I never made that attempt! What a cool area. I loved being in this isolated coastal canyon. Unfortunately, the container was half full of water, and the log sheet (even though double bagged) completely soaked. Will the next finder please bring a replacement log sheet and bag? If you're feeling really ambitious, bring a waterproof container. To mark my visit, I placed a fist sized white rock back with the container. Thanks for this adventure!

No comments: