Thursday, May 11, 2006

May 6, 2006

Landing Zone: Well, geekster's back with a new crew this week. Thanks for the quickie before we headed off-road.

54 miles: Thanks for the preview of sights to come!

Don't Blink: The gentleman working in his garden just a few feet from the cache was definitely distracted by us taking pictures of each other. That's a funny looking camera...it almost looks like a GPSr! TFTC.

Paicines Reservoir: We ran into rain734 at this cache. Quite a coincidence to meet them here since they are from close to home on the peninsula. I swapped a TB, which they propmtly took to move further south. TFTC.

Road End: I think I was occupied with getting something to eat out of the cooler while vaccine found this cache. Thanks buddy!

PW II: I would love to know how you make one of these caches. Thanks for the diversion.

4-5th's of the way to Nowhere: I was still busy pulling stickers out of my socks from a previous cache when we drove up. vaccine did the honors. Thanks.

The Middle of Nowhere: Thanks for the chance to stretch my legs. We enjoyed our tour of no-where today.

Steep Station: I liked this little hike up a dry creek bed. Fortunately it didn't get too steep before we found the cache. The chance of getting it getting muggled is just about zero. Pretty different from back home in the bay area. TFTC.

'G' Is For Ghost Town: What a cool place! Even though nothing has been taken out of the ground here for over a century, it was still easy to envision all of the bustle and activity that must have once taken place. The editorial comments about the Sierra Club were quite entertaining. TFTC!

Old View of New Idria: vaccine and I wormed our way up to the cache while geekster watched from below. He found it last week anyhow. Great view! TFTC.

Clear Creek: We stratched our way into this cache. I won't wear shorts next time, that's for sure!

San Benito Mountain II: vaccine and I tagged along with tour-guide geekster for a fantastic trip up Clear Creek and to the summit. What a fun adventure with million dollar views. It was definitely worth the effort to get here. I traded TBs. TFTC!

Looking at You: geekster, vaccine and I tried to contour our way up to this cache. All we really accomplished was getting stuck by sharp plants. After wandering all over the hillside, we finally zeroed in on the hide. After taking care of business, we let gravity guide us back to the road. TFTC.

Tumey Hills: 'The quest for the spoon' proves vaccine, geekster, and I are certifiable caching freaks. 8 miles out of our way on washboard dirt roads, across a field of grass that inbedded thousands of those razor sharp seeds in my socks and shoes (I already thew the socks away and the shoes are probably ruined), and up a cliff (yeah, let's be honest, that's what it really is), all to find a cache with no other redeeming virtue other than a SPOON!?! Well, it was an Iron Chef spoon, after all. Thanks for providing the adventure.

.03: Well, we did find it.

Why Not: Thanks everybody for stomping down those gosh-darn prickly weeds.

The Rock Pile: I zeroed out some distance away from the hide, but I think the others were too tired to prolong my agony; they just motioned me over after making the find. TFTC.

Pinnacle View: We made the find coming down from New Idria. TFTC.

The Crag: Just as we were driving up to this cache, a guy on a bicycle rode by. It seemed quite out of place. I'll bet he was thinking the same thing about us! TFTC.

Tray's Pinos Hotel: This was the last cache of the day during a tour of Clear Creek, San Benito Mountain, and New Idria. We stopped so that geekster could put some air in the tires on his jeep, but the compressor at the station left a lot to be desired. TFTC.

No comments: